Friday, August 30, 2013

2 Stories

A few weeks ago I was spending some time in South Mumbai, doing a little sightseeing. Toward the late afternoon, I had visited a well-known art gallery, and was sitting on the steps of this gallery looking through my guide book for a good place to eat. An Indian guy came up to me and started making some conversation. I should say that this guy looked really crazy. He had one crazy eye that didn't really look in your direction, long grey hair, a huge, thick grey soul patch, a very large mole on his cheek, and in general was small and wiry. First thing, he introduced himself as Terrence O’Daniel, which was quite unexpected for a middle-aged Indian dude. He asked me where I was from, and I said the United States. He pressed further, and I said Los Angeles. He asked what I was doing in Mumbai, where I was staying, etc… He told me about his brother who lived in Los Angeles, apparently working for the U.S. government as a software programmer who programmed drones for unmanned attacks. He also spent a while complaining that his brother doesn't send any money home. Whatever, it might be true, it might not.
            In all, we had a very pleasant, 20 minute conversation outside of this art gallery. After being initially suspicious, I thought this guy just wanted to talk and have ‘cross-cultural experience’. Then after about 20 minutes he came out with it: he said “I can give you a great tour of Mumbai”. I said no thank you, and that I was fine exploring on my own a bit. Then he got serious, and went into this whole thing about how other tour guides just view Americans as “bags of money”, and that they are just after our wallets. But he, Terrence O’Daniel, was different. Speaking very intensely, he said he didn't just view me as a “walking bag of dollars”, but that he wanted to show me the real Mumbai. He said that he didn’t even care about money, that his parents were very rich industrialists in Chennai. He then opened his backpack and pulled out a worn notebook. He said that other tourists had written testimonials about him and the tour he gave. I flipped through it, and there were maybe 6 entries, all written in the same handwriting. He said that he had 18 more of these notebooks, but had lost them all when he was drunk.
            I had trouble believing him. Besides which, I didn’t want to pay some dude to show me around. I don’t have the money for a tour guide, and I was fine looking around on my own. I said no thank you, but that I appreciate the offer and it was a pleasure talking to him, and stuck out my hand to shake is. He looked at my hand, and then me, and with an utterly disgusted expression on his face said “You know what I say to people who don’t take my tour? Fuck you! People who don’t take my tour end up being bastards, so go fuck yourself!” Jeez. I said okay, and left.
            I had met a couple cool Scottish guys at the hostel where I was staying, and we had made plans to meet up for dinner that night. So I met them, and told them this weird story of this crazy guy who tried to get me to take his tour, and cursed me out when I refused. The next day, I went to do my sightseeing they went to do theirs, and we had decided to meet up again for dinner drinks that night. When I met up with them, they said they had a story for me. They were at this same art gallery that I had visited, and this crazy looking guy came up to them asking if they wanted a tour. He asked where they were from, where they were staying, made them read the bullshit testimonials in the worn notebook, etc… They refused, and said they are going to meet a friend for dinner. He pressed them. “Friends, what friends?” he asked, “you’re tourists”. They said they had met an American guy at the hostel. Then crazy guy asked “Persian guy, bald with a mustache?” They said yes, and he says “I don’t think you should hang out with that guy. He’s a bastard, and I think he’s gay too”. After all that, this guy was so pissed off that I didn’t take his tour that he started spreading all kinds of rumors about me. Ridiculous.

***

Story number two is much briefer. It is just a great example of how pushy salesmen can be in Mumbai. Walking down the street, you can barely look at an item without the seller telling you how much it is, and asking if you want to buy it. If you look for too long, the sellers might even follow you down the street, telling you they’ll give you a great price. They’ll keep lowering the price in the hopes that you’ll buy it. I’ve had to reiterate so many times that I actually really didn’t want an item before the seller stopped hassling me about it. Or, for example, every day, I walk down the same street from my apartment to the train station in the morning, and take the same street back at night. And every day, twice a day, 6 days a week, this same guys asks me “Jeans? You want to buy Jeans”. In his accent it actually sounds more like “jins”. I used to say no, but now I just walk by without saying anything. But he still asks me every time as I pass by, “Jins? You want jins?”
            Anyway, one day a couple weeks ago, I was walking down the street in South Mumbai just minding my own business. All of a sudden, this guys that is walking the opposite direction says to me that I have something on my ear. I wipe my ear, and ask if I got it. He says no, so I wipe my ear again and ask if it’s gone. Keep in mind this guy is a complete stranger that I just happened to be passing by on the street. Out of nowhere, this guy says “I’ll get it for you”, and comes closer to me and grabs my ear. He then pulls out one of those thin metal rods that doctors use to get ear wax out from your ear canal, and shoves it in my ear canal. He takes out a bit of ear wax and says “I clean your ear for you, good price!” I’m shocked. I can hardly believe this guy just had the balls to do that. I say no, absolutely not. Fuck no. He says “don’t worry, I give you good price”. I get angry. I said hell no, I don’t want some stranger sticking a metal stick into my ear on the fucking street. He then says “Okay, you don’t have to pay if you don’t like”. And again, I had to get kind of angry to get this guy to leave me alone. After getting pissed off, this guy finally leaves. People sell their wares like theirs no tomorrow. As soon as they peg you as a foreigner, some folks will do almost anything to give you a tour, sell you a drum, or even clean your ear. I guess in a city of 20 million people, sometimes you have to be aggressive to make a living.


No comments:

Post a Comment